Firth Carpets is a well known brand that he been based in Yorkshire for nearly 200 years, but do you know the history?
Firth Carpets was originally founded in 1822 by Edwin Firth, the son of a Heckmondwike cloth finisher. The company passed from father to son until 1921 reaching its peak just after the 2nd world war. At its height of popularity, Firth Carpets were visited by thousands of people including the Prime Minister John Major in 1990 and even had Royal visitors! Despite continual innovation and investment, including several changes of ownership, however, Firth closed in 2002 and quite a lot of the old mill was demolished.
In 2009 the Firth brand was revived by Michael Rooney, a former director of the Company, determined to recreate the quality and service traditions of the original organisation. Firth Carpets is located at the heart of the original Clifton Mill site and the passion and manufacturing of beautiful, luxurious carpets and flooring still lives on today.
Leeds Beckett University recently rediscovered the history of Firth Carpets which was displayed an exhibition and featured in local newspapers, the Huddersfield Examiner and the Brighouse Echo.
To celebrate our Yorkshire heritage, we recently launched our ‘Dales Collection‘, with natural tones and three beautiful designs with Yorkshire dale names; Swaledale, Wharfedale and Lonsdale.
Happy Yorkshire Pudding Day to all our fellow Yorkshiremen and women on the 5th February!